Are you new to the world of online casinos? The Return to Player (RTP) rate is a crucial metric that can help you win big in online slots. In this guide, we’ll reveal how RTP is calculated and what factors you should consider when selecting the perfect slot machine online.
Understanding Return to Player (RTP) in Online Casinos
Return to Player, commonly abbreviated as RTP, represents the proportion of total money returned to players divided by the total amount wagered on a particular game.
If a casino or slot game has an assigned RTP of e.g. 95%, it means that you will theoretically win 95% of your stake back.
ℹ️ In online casinos, the RTP of a slot or game is estimated based on long-term gameplay. Consequently, it might be misleading information since the RTP doesn’t operate consistently over a short period.
In theory, if you were to invest $100 into a game with an RTP of 95%, you would not necessarily receive a $95 return. In reality, the stated return to player percentage of a slot machine can vary.
RTP is closely related to another concept known as “dispersion”, which essentially refers to the average squared departure from the mean.
For instance, suppose you played 100 spins on the immortal romance slot machine, which boasts an official RTP of 96.86%. However, you only received 96.1% of the money you spent back. At this point, you might wonder if the casino operators rigged their games.
Rest assured, the responsibility of setting payout parameters falls on the slot creator, not the casino, when dealing with regulated and licensed casinos. The slot machine isn’t aware of how much money you’ve invested; rather, slots operate according to specific mathematical patterns.
How to Use RTP to Your Advantage
To boost your chances of winning, here are some essential tips on using the RTP metric when playing online slots:
- Research the RTP percentages: Before wagering your hard-earned cash, take the time to investigate the RTP percentages of various slot games. This information is often available on the game’s help page or the casino’s website. Opt for games with higher RTPs, as they’ll generally provide better returns over time.
- Stay disciplined: Sticking to your budget and practicing self-discipline is crucial, especially since RTP metrics are based on long-term gameplay. Don’t chase losses in the hope of turning your luck around; instead, know when to call it a day.
- Understand volatility: Apart from the RTP, another vital metric to consider is the game’s volatility or variance. Online slots with low volatility offer more frequent (but smaller) payouts, while high volatility games have less frequent but larger potential wins. Depending on your risk tolerance and budget, you can choose the right fit for your gaming style.
To sum it up, understanding the Return to Player metric in online casinos can significantly impact your playing experience and potential winnings. By selecting games with a higher RTP, staying disciplined, and comprehending volatility, you’re more likely to enjoy your online gambling adventures and potentially come out ahead.
Considering High RTP Slots: What You Need to Know
When playing slots with high RTPs, it’s essential to bear in mind certain factors. Game creators have developed slots with minimal fluctuations in percentages, maintaining profitability for casinos and providing entertainment for players. For example, they may adjust the payout for specific symbols or alter the ratio of low to high-paying symbols, introducing more top-paying icons.
Here are some factors to consider when playing high RTP slots:
- Validation and Testing: RTP is verified and tested by independent organizations, such as eCOGRA. These professional teams assess the operation of the Random Number Generator (RNG) to ensure its accuracy and confirm or refute the RTP.
- Statistical Proof: Records of 100 to 1,000 spins, in your knowledge, are not considered statistical proof. To achieve a reasonable degree of accuracy, game creators perform 1,000 million or even a trillion spins to demonstrate that a game is programmed to properly distribute a specified proportion of money back to players. For example, NetEnt reportedly conducted 11 trillion spins in four weeks to confirm that the RTP of the Dead or Alive 2 (DOA 2) slot machine is 96.80%.
- RTP Adjustments: Generally, it’s not possible to make changes to an RTP. However, some questionable software developers, like No Limit and iSoftBet, allow casino owners to alter the RTP between 92% and 96% for use in casinos. As Max Black, a casino owner, confessed, this practice raises some ethical concerns.
Can One Slot Have Multiple RTPs?
Yes, it’s possible for a single slot to have different RTPs, depending on the casino or game version. It is not uncommon to find the same slot machine at various casinos offering different return percentages. The reason for these variations is that there may be two or more versions of the same game, each with a distinct RTP figure.
For instance, Scientific Games’ Zeus slot machine has three variations with RTPs of 92%, 94%, and 96%. If the casino advertises an RTP of 96% when it’s actually 92%, you may lose your trust in that casino website.
Considering the possibility of varying RTPs in a single slot, here are some tips to ensure a fair and enjoyable gaming experience:
- Choose provably fair gaming sites: In situations where RTP figures are unclear, opt for provably fair gaming sites that disclose a procedure for verifying each bet. This way, you can have greater confidence in the reliability and fairness of the game.
- Stick to licensed game providers: Avoid potential issues with RTP variations by selecting licensed game providers that adhere to strict regulations. Online casinos that use reputable game developer software can reassure players that their games’ operation hasn’t been tampered with.
- Independent tests and industry watchdogs: Finally, online slots and casinos are subject to numerous independent evaluations conducted by industry watchdogs and independent labs, such as eCOGRA and iTech Labs. These organizations provide an extra layer of protection for players, ensuring that the games they play are tested for fairness and accurate RTPs.
In conclusion, while it’s possible for a single slot to have multiple RTPs, players can take certain measures to safeguard their gaming experience. By opting for provably fair gaming sites, licensed game providers, and reputable casinos tested by independent organizations, you can significantly mitigate the risks associated with varying RTPs and enjoy a fun and exciting time at your chosen online casino.